Canibad Beach Cove - The once hidden paradise of Samal Island

A couple of years back, when Facebook just took over the social media, it was the first time I have heard of the beach called Canibad. I remember my fascination was intensely high the moment I saw the photos uploaded by a friend from their trip to the said spot during that time (around 2007 I think). I can't contain my excitement to explore the said spot. I even find myself engrossing in the portraits of its virginity.


Yes! Canibad or Canibad Beach Cove in Samal Island was once a hidden paradise and only few were able to enjoy its pure bliss. It has no resorts, cottages, no entrance fees - just pure, virgin beach only wanderlusts could have ever wandered.


After years passed, I finally paid a visit to this so-called "hidden paradise" with my significant other Mae Ann and another couple friends - Jay Dale and Anne. It was on a Saturday morning when we left our abode and plunged into another adventure - to the hidden paradise! We hopped on a barge at Sasa Wharf going to Babak District of Samal Island, bargained a habal-habal then later on agreed at the price of 115Php/head from the original fare of 125Php based on their tariff.


"Asa nga resort mo mubaba sir? (which resort will you alight sir?)" our driver asked in his local dialect as we near our destination. It was after almost an hour of dreary ride from babak that I got a glimpse of the turquoise hue of the sea hovering from the background of lush greenery. I can't contain my excitement after so many years of dreaming and an hour of butt numbing yet exciting ride, I could finally see the grandeur of what they dubbed a hidden paradise. "Sa pinakamurang resort boss (at the cheapest resort.)" I replied.

We continued our run into the steep entrance of the resort named "Madyaw" in which, according to the driver, has the cheapest rate from the strips of resorts in the area. Little did we know that all resort owners agreed to set a standard entrance fee rate of 50Php per head. We settled in Madyaw Beach Resort anyway.


From the once called "Hidden Paradise", Canibad beach cove has transformed into a tourist site. The once virgin beach had been inhabited by humans. The once isolated place had been filled with resorts.And the first thing I noticed was the sign at the entrance that states: Entrance - 50PHP/Toll fee - 30PHP. I curiously asked the caretaker of the resort about the intriguing toll fee sign and she readily answered that "when you want to settle to another resort, you can pass by here in our property but you have to pay us 30Php for the toll fee rather than paying 50Php for the entrance fee" So if you are planning to visit Canibad, be sure to tell the driver to drop you off at the right resort you want to settle to avoid more expenses.

I took a quick look at the beach, the same view was the one I pictured out basing from the photos of a 3 megapixel phone back then. The long stretch of pebbled shore with the contrasting colors of azure sky, turquoise blue sea, and lush greenery is such a mesmerizing site to behold (especially for photographers and/or hobbyists like me). Indeed it is a paradise, but, it certainly is, not a secret no more. Beneath the shades of the tree lies a bunch of cottages that represents the taking over of human beings. Most if not all were filled with tourists that are also enjoying this share of paradise of Samal Island. And we are among them!


So before anything else, we pitched our tents and secured our belongings inside. It was still early so I rewarded myself a nap. I woke up just before 12 noon then we prepared our lunch. Then after, I feast my eyes with the relaxing view of the different hues of blue with the mountains of ComVal and Davao Oriental as the background. No wonder many blog reviews about beaches gave an impression that it is a getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city, because that's what I exactly feel - stress free.


It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon when we decided to explore the farther side of the cove. The beach shore where we settled has a share of fine white sands but as we move further to the opposite end, the fine sands was overlapped and covered with pebbles, in which, according to some locals, is the effect of the landslide that happened in late 2000's when the local government initially developed the area.

As we near the rock formation at the end of the long shoreline, I saw some peeps jumping from the tip of the cliff to the water. I reckoned to myself, this is what I was looking for. I don't know why but I am very fascinated about the idea of countering my fears, thus, extreme adventure always excites me. Just like when I pushed myself to jump off the highest cliff of Sabang at 40 feet high; took all the extreme rides of Enchanted Kingdom and gamely availed all extreme water-sport activities in Maxima. So I and Mae Ann took the trail that will lead us to the cliff.

Obligatory selfie at the cliff

The trail is quite challenging and the moment you reach the end where you can see the scenic panorama of the wide blue sea will give you the willies. I have a-bit-of fear of heights that is why I pushed myself to be at the very position where I took my selfie. After taking some photos, I looked at the trail we just trudged and realized that between jumping off the cliff and traversing back the trail, the former is much more suiting. I looked down the water trying to gain some courage thinking that this is way more easy than the 40 feet jump at Sabang, but my body could not process what my brain was contemplating. Even sending an instinctive message that jumping is not a good idea. I have to do the jump since my friends are watching me and might gain inspiration to do it as well. I hesitated big time but then later on found myself flying through the air down to the water. I made it. It became the norms and we even managed to inspire our friends to jump as well. (We recorded it. Watch the video at the end of the post) 

As the sun finally sets, we head our way back to Madyaw resort and enjoy the presence of each other with a booze. Shared some plans of our future travels as well as flashing back the memories. Promised to one another that there will be more of this kind to come and celebrate. Cheers to the good times we shared! After the last cup of booze, we capped our night with smiles.




Staying overnight is recommended in Canibad as you will be rewarded by a wonderful view of the rising sun. I almost lost the chance, thanks to Jay Dale for waking me up at 5am.

As we near our departure, I took a last glimpse of the scenery around me, I can't help but compare the old Canibad I have seen on photos and today. A part of me wishes that the owners will just halt further developments and just make do with what nature offers. I hope that whatever the future developments they will apply, it will be for the protection of nature. Because it is human's intervention that slowly destroys such a beautiful wonder of nature and if not planned well, this place might just become like any other ordinary beaches out there in no time. This is also a reminder for us travelers/tourists that we have to be responsible travelers and tourists. Let us conserve nature's gems like this once hidden/secret paradise of Samal and give the future generations an opportunity to enjoy!

How to get there:

• There are daily flights from Manila/Cebu to Davao City via different airline carriers. From Davao International Airport, take a cab going to Sasa Wharf.
• Take the barge going to Babak, Samal Island. Barge fare 10Php.
• At Samal port, there are many habal-habal drivers that will offer you a ride, bargain one of them. Fare usually costs 125Pesos per head.

Jay Vie Piamonte

Is an adventurer on a budget who wishes to explore the beautiful Philippines. He's currently an active volunteer of the Happy Forest Kids of Davao.

38 comments:

  1. Magkano po ba ang overnight stay doon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been there and tried the cliff diving.. t'was fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. May entrance fee po ba? Magkano po kung meron? Magkano rin po ang mga cottages or rooms? May overnight stay po? Magkano rin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day.
    Pano po kayo kumuha ng habal habal from Canibad to babak?
    How much did is the fare ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pwede po kayong mag request sa driver or sa resort staff. pero usually, ang mga habal-habal na sasakyan nyo papunta dun ang mag ooffer mismo na sunduin kayo.

      Delete
  5. Is madyaw near to where one can have cliff diving? Or is it on the other end of the shoreline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. madyaw is the farthest resort from the cliff sir.

      Delete
  6. Same rates po padin ba? Mabato ba ang way papunta jan or sementado? Pde po ba magdala ng tents? Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. opo same rates. hindi na po masyadong mabato kasi dinidevelop na po ang access road

      Delete
  7. May kuryente po ba don para sa mag overnyt stay?good for how many person ang room nila?safe po ba mag overnyt kasi with kids kasi eh...thanks��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. opo meron pong kuryente dun. may iba't ibang types of cottages po bawat resort dun. but they have big rooms that can accommodate many people.

      Delete
  8. Is it convenient to have a private vehicle or baka kasi maliit yung daan kaya mas preferable na mag.habal2 nalang kahit medyo mahal ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. it is more convenient if meron kayong private vehicle for transpo. and hindi po maliit ang daan. kahit grandia po nakakaabot dun

      Delete
  9. mag kano po ba ang cottage for overnight stay yung open cottage at close cottage po... salamat po.. thanks for this site!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mag kano po ba ang open cottage at close cottage ... salamat po

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, hindi po ako familiar sa mga rates ng cottages sir eh. kasi nung pumunta kami nag tent lang po kami.

      Delete
  11. may mabibilhan ba ng pagkain doon or some place na pwede magluto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they have dirty kitchen po kung san pwde ka magluto. other resorts also have a store where you can buy basic goods.

      Delete
  12. Hi Jayvie. Planning to go there this May.
    Ask ko lang yung 125 php na pamasahe is papunta pa lang?
    Kung mag tent may bayad pa?
    And lastly, walk in kayo or may booking pa or any contact sa resort?
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one way po yung 125Php ma'am. tent is 50 pesos po and walk in lang po kami :) no need to book po unless marami po kayo and may mga bata kayong kasama.

      Delete
  13. Hello gaano po kalalim yung sa may cliff diving safe po ba ang depth nya? Tnx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gaano po kalalim yung tubig para sa cliff diving? Safe po ba ang depth? Tnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, di po siya malalim actually. nasa 6 to 9feet if high tide.

      Delete
  15. Hello gaano po kalalim yung sa may cliff diving safe po ba ang depth nya? Tnx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good day! Ask ko lang po.. My friends and I po kasi are planning to go there. Dala po private vehicle, pero hndi po namin alam talaga ang way papunta. Hahaha sad :( may mapagtatanungan po ba kami along the way? Thank you po for sharing your experience. Hoping for your response. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the late reply, yes po marami po kayo mapag tatanungan along the way. friendly naman po mga locals :D

      Delete
  17. Sir ang dalan padulong sa resort ok xa maagian sa four wheel vehicle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. dito sa resort kung san kami nag stay, may parking space sila. kahit grandia vans nakakapasok.

      Delete
  18. Sir ang dalan padulong sa resort ok xa maagian sa four wheel vehicle?

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi jayvie, nagpaparent din ba sila ng tent sa secrete paradise resort? magkano nmn? salamat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Paano po makakarating dun sa cliff? yun po kasing pumunta kami I think I saw asan banda kaya lang i don't know how to get there. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello i wanna ask kung anong camera yung gamit mo dun sa underwater scenes? tnx

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello po. I wanna ask if how much po ang rate ng mga rooms doon? tapos anong resort ang pinakamaganda doon?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello jayvie, how much po ang room rate doon? Ano rin pong nice na resort doon?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anong resort po ba ang pinakamalapit na pwedeng mg cliff diving ?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anong resort po ba ang pinakamalapit sa diving cliff ?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello po. May toll fee pa po ba papunta sa cliff?

    ReplyDelete