Sabang Cliff - Samal Island Beaching at New Heights

I first heard about this new spot in Kaputian, Samal Island from a friend about months ago where he seemed to enjoy much of his experience in this so-called "Sabang jumping cliff" basing from his facial expressions during our conversation.. "lingaw kaayo bai. promise!" he cheerfully uttered with some sense of pride. I, who had been to Kaputian numerous times, was left wondering where in the world is "Sabang" located and why I didn't hear about it from the locals.


Sabang Cliff or the Grotto - located just a few kilometers from the center - is slowly gaining tourists attention after some locals discovered the area then invited a few tourists to do some fun activity like cliff jumping at the Grotto and scuba diving. Since then, Sabang has become one of the alternative spots for beach frolicking in Kaputian aside from the famous Kaputian Beach Resort. And just recently, I finally fed my curiosity about this interesting place my friend told me when we scheduled our outing there.


Our group left Davao City on board the ferry boat (commonly called Barge by the locals) going to samal as early as 6 in the morning since we need to be back home before dark. While we voyage into the Davao Gulf, a beautiful sunrise welcomes us. It was a perfect day to start our short ride.


Sabang has three jumping spots. Each has its varying heights. The most common jumping area was of course the lowest at 14 feet above sea level. 2nd highest was at 20 feet high I think and the highest was at 40 feet above sea level. Though, getting to the different spots has its own difficulties, It never hinders the visitors to give it a jump. Magpapahuli ba naman ako? Of course not. I consider my life as a gift but I will never let the chance pass without even trying....Even if it involves great heights and risks of having a broken bone if I landed wrong from a 3 to 4 seconds fall to the sea. I braved the trail towards the highest jumping point together with two of my friends. I took a quick glimpse of the sea from above. I instantly felt the rat running inside my body the moment my friend shouted below that the camera was all set and ready. I was planning to make a gunshot move while in mid air but the moment I kicked off my feet to take a leap nervosity took over and all I could remember was that I was slowly swallowed by the sea.



I heaved a euphoric sigh of relief the moment my body soaked down and realized that I had made it. Yes! I dared to jump at the 40 feet above sea level cliff of Sabang and there is proof of that that I will share with you with pride. Watch the video below.

How to get here

• There are daily flights from Manila/Cebu to Davao via different carriers. From Davao International Airport, take a cab to Sta. Ana Wharf where the ferry is on standby to take you to Kaputian, Samal Island.
• When at Kaputian Port, take a habal-habal to sabang. Sabang is just 15 minutes away from Kaputian Port.
•Alternatively, you can ride a bus at Magsaysay Park bound to Kaputian, Samal Island.

- No entrance fee
- No cottages
- There are parking spaces

P.S: Sabang Cliff is not a resort. It is just a place discovered by the locals so do not expect some amenities there.

Jay Vie Piamonte

Is an adventurer on a budget who wishes to explore the beautiful Philippines. He's currently an active volunteer of the Happy Forest Kids of Davao.

2 comments:

  1. Pila ka hours byaheon padulong kaputian kung mag motor? Dili makasaag kung first time mubyahe padulong didto? Salamat kaayu

    ReplyDelete
  2. adto mih dri last april 25, 2015. Nice jud ang view pero hadlok jud diay muambak.

    ReplyDelete